Yard Sale shopping has been a part of my life since I can remember, however growing up in New York State, we called it ‘rummaging’. I have fond memories of my mom and her friend, along with her friend’s daughter coming to our house and the four of us piling into their car and heading for treasures. My husband has some of the same memories but his was with his dad.
We carried that tradition proudly into our marriage, when I would also make ‘rummaging dates’ with my friends, if my husband had other plans. When we began to have children we joyfully taught this trait to them. From the time they were three or four, they have learned to ask prices and even ‘dicker’ for a lower price. So this shouldn’t surprise you that many times they saved their Christmas money to spend at Spring yard sales. They are so excited when their patience and due diligence is rewarded with a bargain for a treasured item they have had their heart set on.
This summer will be our third year in our new home and as I look around our home, I can see bargains around almost every corner, but certainly in every room. What a joy it has been for us, as parents, to teach our children the value of a dollar and how being patient and learning to comprise on certains things can really make a difference in a one income family, striving to be debt free and mortgage free. It has taught us how to be creative and repurpose items to fit our own style.
Here is How We Save Big at Yard Sales
I created a notebook for my family yard sale shopping days and have turned it into an ebook, for only $4.99! You won’t believe the comments we hear when people realize that I have come prepared with a list of what I’m looking for, pictures of styles I desire and even a checklist for the clothes we need to fill bins for years to come, taking advantage of clothing for 25 – 50 cents each.
Using the ebook, I have created categories within a 3 ring binder with the following tabs:
- Community Yard Sales – In our region of the United States, community yards sales are popular. With the years of experience, we have found gems within the community sales and each one has their best finds. For instance, one of our favorite ones is only 15 minutes from our home and is in a neighborhood that homes range in the half of million dollar range. This is where we look for home decor, furniture and even clothing. We are NEVER disappointed with our finds here. Other community sales are clothing targets mostly, but have been known to find us items in other categories as well
- Home Decor – in our experience we have purchased gorgeous mirrors, picture frames, shelves, wall hangings and more.
- Furniture – we have purchased stands, chairs, bed frames, children furniture, dressers and desk
- Landscaping – we like to look for items that we see on Pinterest that we would like to add in our landscaping
- Clothing – we always strike it big in the clothing department and only buy clothes that are in excellent condition
- Kitchen – I have seen Kitchen Aids still in the box, food processors, grills and other items that are NEVER used
- Garage – tools are always on my husband’s list to look for and it is amazing how some of these items are barely used or just a little bit of cleaning will make them look new
- Toys or Learning Items – so many of our three year old toys have been purchased at yard sales, which includes a new train table, electronic learning games, Melissa and Doug Puzzles, books, a trampoline and even an RV riding car in excellent condition
- Miscellaneous – little things that we just aren’t sure if we will find, like magnifying glass, binoculars, hunting gear, sewing machines
- Request of Friends – with the nickname ‘Yard Sale Queen’, you can only imagine the request that our friends have when we hit the yard sale season
Don’t go into the yard sale season without being prepared. Be sure to your copy of my strategies for only $4.99 and share it with one of your friends. It is never too late to start a family tradition that will save you money… together.
What was your best yard sale find?
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.